Tuesday, 16 September 2014

Master Document Templates

Writer has long had Master Documents. A master document lets you manage large documents, such as a book with many chapters. One odt per chapter, bundled into a single document via a master odm

LibreOffice 4.4 introduces Master Document Templates. What that means is that these Master Document Templates can be added to the Template Manager and from there you can create a new Master Document (odm) based on a Master Document Template (otm). The new odm of course having the same initial content as the Template it is based upon.

Thanks to Máirín Duffy (of Red Hat, Inc.) for prompting this feature. Any failures in execution are mine however.

Saturday, 13 September 2014

More Font Support

Playing around with some Mac OS X fonts under Linux I noticed that LibreOffice wasn't listing a lot of them despite fontconfig announcing their existence. A little digging and some very small tweaks means that we now have mac ttf fontname encoding support along with support for version 2 ttc fonts. This is more fixing some oversights (version 2 of ttc came into existence after the ttc support was added so there was a "only if version is 1" condition) than implementing anything particularly new, but now LibreOffice under Linux works with a lot more ttf/ttc/otf fonts than it did before.

Tuesday, 9 September 2014

change image option in writer context menu

Change Image in Writer

Thanks to Jennifer Liebel, writer now has a change image option in its graphic context menu like Impress/Draw.

Wednesday, 3 September 2014

aarch64 libreoffice


Thanks to Stephen Bergmann of Red Hat, Inc. LibreOffice is now ported to aarch64. No new ports for years, and then two 64bit ports landed within a week of aarch64 and ppc64le.

Friday, 22 August 2014

ppc64le libreoffice

LibreOffice is now ported to ppc64le. make passes, testtools passes and the resulting application is capable of headlessly converting documents to pdf. There's no reason to think it's any less capable of anything else as any other port but I don't actually have a ppc64le and transatlantic ssh tunnels aren't conducive to extensive UI testing.

The tricky bit of the port as always is the uno bridge, especially because the ABI was changed for little endian

https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8035647 is handy to get the links to the original elf v2 abi change commits to gcc/libffi

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8965 is handy to get a friendlier translation of the change where if gcc can see that the arguments to the function to be called will fit in registers then no argument save area is created which stumped me for a while

Friday, 15 August 2014

dialog conversion status, 4 to go

http://magazine.uc.edu/issues/0509/rabbi.html

Converting LibreOffice dialogs to .ui format, 4 left

I should go on vacation more often. On my return I find that Palenik Mihály and Szymon Kłos, two of our GSOC2014 students, have now converted all but 4 of LibreOffice’s classic fixed widget size and position .src format elements to the GtkBuilder .ui format.

Here's the list of the last four. One (monster) whose conversion is in progress, one that should ideally be removed in favour of a duplicate dialog and two that have no known route to display them. Hacking the code temporarily to force those two to appear is probably no biggy.


Current conversion stats are:
820 .ui files currently exist
There are 3 unconverted dialogs
There are 1 unconverted tabpages
An estimated additional 4 .ui are required
We are 99% of the way through.

What's next, well *cough*, the above are all the dialogs and tabpages in the classic .src format. There are actually a host of ErrorBox, InfoBox and QueryBox that exist in the .src format as well.

These take just two pieces of information, a string to display and some bits that set what buttons to show, e.g. cancel, close, ok + cancel, etc. We want to remove them in favour of the Gtk-alike MessageDialog, but we don't want to actually convert them to .ui format, because they are so simple it makes more sense to just reduce them to strings like this sample commit demonstrates. This might even be possible to at least somewhat automate.

I've now updated count-todo-dialogs to display the count of those *Box elements that exist in src file format, but I'll elide the count of them until the last 4 true dialogs+tabpages are gone.

Friday, 25 July 2014

Dialogs and Coverity, current numbers

Army massing

Converting LibreOffice dialogs to .ui format, 54 conversions remaining

We've now converted all but 54 of LibreOffice’s classic fixed widget size and position .src format elements to the GtkBuilder .ui format. This is due to the much appreciated efforts of Palenik Mihály and Szymon Kłos, two of our GSOC2014 students, who are tackling the last bunch of hard to find or hard to convert ones.

Current conversion stats are:
778 .ui files currently exist
There are 20 unconverted dialogs
There are 34 unconverted tabpages
An estimated additional 54 .ui are required
We are 93% of the way through.

Coverity Defect Density: LibreOffice vs Average

According to Coverity's overview dashboard our current status is:

LibreOffice: 9,425,526 line of code and 0.09 defect density

Open Source Defect Density By Project Size

Line of Code (LOC) Defect Density
Less than 100,0000.35
100,000 to 499,9990.5
500,000 to 1 million0.7
More than 1 million0.65
Note: Defect density is measured by the number of defects per 1,000 lines of code, identified by the Coverity platform. The numbers shown above are from our 2013 Coverity Scan Report, which analyzed 250 million lines of open source code.